Windows App Certification Kit
Before you submit your app for certification and listing in the Windows Store, use the Windows App Certification Kit to test your app and make sure it's ready to go.
The Windows SDK includes the Windows App Certification Kit. You can use it to test your app for the Windows Store (for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8), and for the Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Windows 7 Desktop App Certification Programs. The Windows SDK does not include a compiler or build environment. Learn more about the Windows SDK for Windows 8.1
To test your app on Windows RT, download the separate Windows App Certification Kit for Windows RT.
Note To run the Windows App Certification Kit on a Windows RT PC, you first need to install the ARM Kits policy. For info about installing the ARMS Kits policy, see ARM Kit Policy Installation.
Note: The developer tools for Windows Insider Preview include a version of the Windows App Certification Kit that provides new tests specific to development for Windows 10. These new tests are currently detailed in Windows App Certification Kit tests for Windows Store apps.
February 21, 2014: This version of the Windows App Certification Kit (version 3.3) has been updated to include support for pre-certifying Windows Phone 8.1 apps before being submitted to the Store. The Windows App Certification Kit now supports the following app types:
- Desktop apps for Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7
- Windows Store apps for Windows 8.1 and Windows 8
- Windows Phone 8.1 apps
Changes included in the Windows App Certification Kit 3.3:
- Image validation. Enforces preview tile size to smaller than 200 KB.
- Performance tests. The launch and suspend performance tests have been removed.
- Updates to banned file analyzer. Incorporates test to ensure no pre-released version of the Microsoft Advertising SDK has been included in apps.
- No reverse map in PRI file. Ensures that the reverse header has not been added to the PRI file, which can cause Windows 8.1 to use unnecessary system resources during runtime.
- Inter process communications (IPC) verification. Verifies apps do not communicate outside of the app container to desktop components.
- Windows Phone 8.1 app support. Validates Windows Phone 8.1 apps before submission to the Windows Phone Store. Refer to Using the Windows App Certification Kit for a complete list of tests applicable to Windows Phone 8.1 apps.
Windows App Certification Kit (Windows SDK)
Supported operating systems: Windows 8.1 (x86 and x64), Windows 8 (x86 and x64), Windows 7 (x64)
Note The Windows SDK cannot be installed directly on ARM-based PCs. You can install the Windows SDK on an x86 or x64 platform to build apps that target the ARM architecture, and then download the Windows App Certification Kit for Windows RT to test the app on that platform.
Hardware requirements: The complete installation of the Windows SDK requires between 10 MB and 1 GB of hard disk space for installation, depending on the features you select.
Windows App Certification Kit for Windows RT
Supported operating systems: Windows RT
- 1.6 GHz or faster processor
- 1 GB of RAM (1.5 GB if running on a virtual machine)
- 5 GB of available hard disk space
- 5400-RPM hard drive
- DirectX 9-capable video card running at 1024 x 768 or higher display resolution