Windows Phone Preview for Developers
Windows Phone Preview for Developers gives registered developers access to prerelease Windows Phone operating system updates for their development phone, directly from Microsoft.
The Preview program was created to give developers time to test their apps, and to validate that their apps run as expected on a real phone before an operating system update is made generally available to your customers.
To download the app and start getting early access to Windows Phone updates, you need to be a registered developer or be running a "developer unlocked" phone.
Register as a developer:
"Developer unlock" your phone:
One more step and you’re on your way. Take a moment to review the Terms and Conditions for Windows Phone Preview for Developers for the program.
There are a few key items that you must understand before you update your phone:
- After you install a preview update, you may void any warranty from your mobile operator and OEM.
- A preview update only includes the Microsoft portion of the update; mobile operator and OEM driver updates will be available when the official update for your phone is available.
- You cannot revert or return to a prior operating system release version after you have updated your phone to a preview update. We will move you forward to a "released state," but we cannot take you back to a prior "released state."
Download and get started
If you meet the prerequisites above, download the Windows Phone Preview for Developers app by clicking on the button below.
Visit the Windows Phone Preview for Developers support forum, where you can get help with issues that you may be having, find answers to questions that others have asked, and engage in discussions with your developer peers and Microsoft experts about the preview release.
For an overview of what’s new and what’s changed in Windows Phone 8.1, go here.
Terms and Conditions for Windows Phone Preview for Developers
These Terms and Conditions for Windows Phone Preview for Developers (the "Agreement"), are between Microsoft Corporation ("Microsoft") and you. Your use of any of the Deliverables shall constitute your binding acceptance of all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
- Non-Commercial Quality. The Deliverables may be prerelease and may not be compatible or work as well as a commercial, retail offering. The Deliverables may not work correctly and are not intended as a substitute for your primary means of telecommunications.
- Registry key/Data collection. The Windows Phone Preview for Developers app will set a registry key on your Windows Phone to enable the app to preview updates. Microsoft will not collect information about your Windows Phone through the app.
- “Deliverables” mean the following:
- The Windows Phone Preview for Developers app and Windows Phone software and updates provided to you under this Agreement, including any Third Party Software (as defined below);
- Prerelease services available via the Windows Phone and other prerelease materials Microsoft may deliver in connection with the Windows Phone; and
- Support services, if any.
- "Windows Phone(s)" means a mobile phone or development hardware running (i) Windows Phone operating system software, including associated services offered by Microsoft and (ii) any Third Party Software.
3. License grant
- License to Deliverables. Microsoft grants to you a nonexclusive, royalty-free, personal, nontransferable license to use the Deliverables solely for:
- Installation on a Windows Phone owned by you, including any updates;
- Evaluating and testing the Deliverables;
- Designing, developing, or testing your hardware, software and/or
service product offering(s) solely in connection with the Windows Phone; and
- Providing feedback to Microsoft.
- License Limitations and Reservation of rights. This Agreement grants you a license to use the Deliverables as provided for in Section 3(a). Microsoft does not intend to sell or otherwise transfer the Deliverables, or any intellectual property rights in the Deliverables, to you. Except as expressly licensed under Section 3(a), Microsoft and its licensors retain all of their right, title and interest in and to the Deliverables, and no other intellectual property rights or license rights are granted to you, either expressly or by implication, estoppel or otherwise.
- License limitations. Except as expressly provided in this Agreement or as permitted by law, you will not, and will not permit or authorize third parties to:
- Reproduce, modify, translate, enhance, decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer, or create derivative works of the Deliverables;
- Sell, rent, lease, or otherwise place the Deliverables into any channel of commerce;
- Sublicense the Deliverables; or
- Provide, make available to, or permit the use of the Deliverables by any third party that is not your employee or a contractor except with written permission by Microsoft and subject to the terms in Section 7 of this Agreement.
- Third-Party Software. The Deliverables may contain third party software and its updates, ("Third Party Software"). Your use of this Third-Party Software may be subject to separate license agreements containing additional terms and conditions (“Third Party Software License Agreements”). In addition to the terms and conditions in this Agreement, you agree to comply with these Third Party Software License Agreements when you use the Third Party Software.
- Additional Terms. You may be prompted to accept additional contract terms that govern your installation and use of other software or services offered in connection with the Windows Phone. These contract terms are separate from and do not change or replace the terms of this Agreement.
The D eliverabls are provided “as is" and Microsoft may not provide support services for them. The Deliverables include prerelease software that may not be compatible with or perform as well as final, commercially available products. The Windows Phone software may be designed to stop functioning after a particular date. Microsoft is not responsible for restoring the Windows Phone to a working condition or for restoring any lost data. Microsoft, its licensors or its suppliers are not required to make any prerelease Deliverables commercially available.
If you give feedback about the Deliverables to Microsoft, you give to Microsoft, without charge, the non-exclusive license under your owned or controlled intellectual property rights, to make, use, modify, distribute and otherwise commercialize the feedback as part of any Microsoft offering. You will not give feedback that is subject to a license that requires Microsoft to license its software or documentation to third parties because Microsoft includes your feedback in them.
6. Term and termination
- Term. This Agreement will be effective until terminated.
- Termination for convenience. You agree that Microsoft may immediately terminate this Agreement at any time without notice, for any reason and without liability.
- Effect of termination. On termination, and upon Microsoft’s request, you will immediately return to Microsoft any Deliverables provided under this Agreement. Unless otherwise requested by Microsoft, however, you may keep the Windows Phone software installed on a Windows Phone owned by you as long as you use the software according to the terms of this Agreement.
- Survival. Sections 3(b) through (d), 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 will survive expiration or termination of this Agreement.
7. Disclaimer of warranties
- General. To the maximum extent permitted by law, the Deliverables are provided to you “as is” and with all faults. You bear the entire risk of using the Deliverables. Except as provided herein, Microsoft, on behalf of itself, its licensors and its suppliers, expressly disclaims all other express, implied, or statutory warranties. This includes the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title and non-infringement. Microsoft, its licensors and its suppliers do not warrant that the Deliverables are error free or that operation of the Windows Phones will be secure or uninterrupted.
- INSTALLING WINDOWS PHONE SOFTWARE ON A WINDOWS PHONE THAT YOU OWN. BY INSTALLING WINDOWS PHONE SOFTWARE UPDATES AVAILABLE THROUGH THIS PROGRAM, THE FOLLOWING MAY OCCUR:
- YOU WILL LIKELY VOID ANY APPLICABLE OEM, ODM OR MOBILE OPERATOR WARRANTY FOR THAT PHONE.
- YOU MAY CAUSE IRREPARABLE HARM TO YOUR PHONE, INCLUDING LOSS OF ALL DATA. DATA INCLUDES SMS MESSAGES, GAME INFORMATION AND APPLICATION INFORMATION, AS WELL AS MUSIC, VIDEOS, PHOTOS AND EMAIL. ADDITIONAL DATA NOT LISTED HERE MAY ALSO BE LOST.
- YOU AGREE TO WAIVE ANY SUPPORT FOR YOUR WINDOWS PHONE FROM THE MANUFACTURER OF YOUR WINDOWS PHONE AND MOBILE OPERATOR OF THE NETWORK THAT YOUR WINDOWS PHONE WORKS ON. YOU AGREE TO WAIVE ANY RIGHT TO RETURN YOUR WINDOWS PHONE TO YOUR APPLICABLE OEM, ODM OR MOBILE OPERATOR.
8. LIMITATION ON AND EXCLUSION OF REMEDIES AND DAMAGES
You can recover from Microsoft, its licensors and its suppliers only direct damages up to U.S. $5.00. You cannot recover any other damages, including consequential, lost profits, special, indirect, incidental or punitive damages.
This limitation applies to
- anything related to the Deliverables, services, or content (including code) on third party Internet sites; and
- claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, guarantee or condition, strict liability, negligence, or other tort, each to the extent permitted by applicable law.
It also applies even if Microsoft, its licensors or its suppliers knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages.
- Relationship. This Agreement does not create a partnership, joint venture, or agency relationship between the parties or grant a franchise.
- Notices. Microsoft may provide notices to you either by electronic or physical mail based on the contact(s) and location(s) information provided on the first page of this Agreement. You will promptly notify Microsoft in writing if there are any changes in this information.
- Jurisdiction and governing law. The laws of the State of Washington govern this Agreement. If federal jurisdiction exists, the parties consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the federal courts in King County, Washington. If not, the parties consent to exclusive jurisdiction and venue in the Superior Court of King County, Washington.
- Attorneys’ fees. If Microsoft or you employ attorneys to enforce any in this Agreement, the prevailing party will be entitled to recover its reasonable attorneys’ fees, costs, and other expenses, including the costs and fees incurred on appeal or in a bankruptcy or similar action.
- Assignment. You may not assign this Agreement without Microsoft’s prior written consent.
- Taxes. You are solely responsible for all taxes associated with your receipt or use of the Deliverables.
- Export Restrictions. The Deliverables are subject to United States export laws and regulations. You must comply with all domestic and international export laws and regulations that apply to the Deliverables. These laws include restrictions on destinations, end users and end use. For additional information, see http://www.microsoft.com/exporting.
- Waiver. A party’s delay or failure to exercise any right or remedy will not result in a waiver of that or any other right or remedy.
- Severability. If any court of competent jurisdiction determines that any provision of this Agreement is illegal, invalid or unenforceable, the remaining provisions will remain in full force and effect.
- Integration and modification.
- Entire agreement. This Agreement (including any exhibits) is the entire agreement between the parties regarding its subject matter.
- Amendment. This Agreement can be changed only by an amendment signed by both parties.